Nissan Altima Owners Manual: Front seat-mounted side-impact supplemental air bag and roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bag systems
The side air bags are located in the outside of the seatback of the front seats. The curtain air bags are located in the side roof rails. However, all of the information, cautions and warnings in this manual still apply and must be followed.
The side air bags and curtain air bags are designed to inflate in higher severity side collisions, although they may inflate if the forces in another type of collision are similar to those of a higher severity impact. They are designed to inflate on the side where the vehicle is impacted.
They may not inflate in certain side collisions.
Vehicle damage (or lack of it) is not always an indication of proper side air bag and curtain air bag operation.
When the side air bags and curtain air bags inflate, a fairly loud noise may be heard, followed by the release of smoke. This smoke is not harmful and does not indicate a fire. Care should be taken not to inhale it, as it may cause irritation and choking. Those with a history of a breathing condition should get fresh air promptly.
Side air bags, along with the use of seat belts, help to cushion the impact force on the chest and pelvic area of the front occupants. Curtain air bags help to cushion the impact force to the head of occupants in the front and rear outboard seating positions. They can help save lives and reduce serious injuries. However, an inflating side air bag and curtain air bag may cause abrasions or other injuries. Side air bags and curtain air bags do not provide restraint to the lower body.
The seat belts should be correctly worn and the driver and passenger seated upright as far as practical away from the side air bag. Rear seat passengers should be seated as far away as practical from the door finishers and side roof rails. The side air bags and curtain air bags inflate quickly in order to help protect the occupants.
Because of this, the force of the side air bag and curtain air bag inflating can increase the risk of injury if the occupant is too close to, or is against, these air bag modules during inflation. The side air bags and curtain air bag will deflate quickly after the collision is over.
The side air bags and curtain air bags operate only when the ignition switch is placed in the ON position.
After placing the ignition switch in the ON position, the supplemental air bag warning light illuminates. The supplemental air bag warning light will turn off after about 7 seconds if the system is operational.
● Do not place any objects near the seatback of the front seats. Also, do not place any objects (an umbrella, bag, etc.) between the front door finisher and the front seat. Such objects may become dangerous projectiles and cause injury if a side air bag inflates.
● Right after inflation, several side air bag and curtain air bag system components will be hot. Do not touch them; you may severely burn yourself.
● No unauthorized changes should be made to any components or wiring of the side air bag and curtain air bag systems. This is to prevent damage to or accidental inflation of the side air bag and curtain air bag or damage to the side air bag and curtain air bag systems.
● Do not make unauthorized changes to your vehicle’s electrical system, suspension system or side panel. This could affect proper operation of the side air bag and curtain air bag systems.
● Tampering with the side air bag system may result in serious personal injury.
For example, do not change the front seats by placing material near the seatbacks or by installing additional trim material, such as seat covers, around the side air bag.
● Work around and on the side air bag and curtain air bag system should be done by a NISSAN dealer. Installation of electrical equipment should also be done by a NISSAN dealer. The SRS wiring harnesses* should not be modified or disconnected. Unauthorized electrical test equipment and probing devices should not be used on the side air bag or curtain air bag system.
* The SRS wiring harness connectors are yellow and orange for easy identification.
When selling your vehicle, we request that you inform the buyer about the side air bag and curtain air bag systems and guide the buyer to the appropriate sections in this Owner’s Manual.
Precautions on cruise control
1. CANCEL switch 2. ACCEL/RES switch 3. COAST/SET switch 4. ON/OFF switch ● If the cruise control system malfunctions, it cancels automatically. The SET indicator light in the instrument panel then blinks to warn the driver. ● If the SET indicator light blinks, turn the cruise ...
P0462, P0463 fuel level sensor
Description The fuel level sensor is mounted in the fuel level sensor unit. The sensor detects a fuel level in the fuel tank and transmits a signal to the combination meter. The combination meter sends the fuel level sensor signal to the ECM through CAN communication line. It consists of ...
System Description CAN (Controller Area Network) is a serial communication line for real time application. It is an on-vehicle multiplex communication line with high data communication speed and excellent error detection ability. Many electronic control units are equipped onto a vehicle, and ...