Nissan Altima Owners Manual: Battery
● Keep the battery surface clean and dry.
Clean the battery with a solution of baking soda and water.
● Make certain the terminal connections are clean and securely tightened.
● If the vehicle is not to be used for 30 days or longer, disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal cable to prevent discharge.
Care should be taken to avoid situations that can lead to potential battery discharge and potential no-start conditions such as:
1. Installation or extended use of electronic
accessories that consume battery power
when the engine is not running (Phone chargers,
GPS, DVD players, etc.)
2. Vehicle is not driven regularly and/or only driven short distances. In these cases, the battery may need to be charged to maintain battery health.
● Do not expose the battery to flames, an electrical spark or a cigarette. Hydrogen gas generated by the battery is explosive.
Explosive gases can cause blindness or injury. Do not allow battery fluid to contact your skin, eyes, fabrics or painted surfaces. Sulfuric acid can cause blindness or injury. After touching a battery or battery cap, do not touch or rub your eyes. Thoroughly wash your hands. If the acid contacts your eyes, skin or clothing, immediately flush with water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical attention.
● Do not operate the vehicle if the fluid in the battery is low. Low battery fluid can cause a higher load on the battery which can generate heat, reduce battery life, and in some cases lead to an explosion.
● When working on or near a battery, always wear suitable eye protection and remove all jewelry.
● Battery posts, terminals and related accessories contain lead and lead compounds.
Wash hands after handling.
● Keep battery out of the reach of children.
● Do not tip the battery. Keep the vent caps tight and the battery level.
1. Remove the vent caps with a screwdriver as shown. Use a cloth to protect the battery case.
2. Check the fluid level in each cell. If it is necessary to add fluid, add only distilled water to bring the level up to the bottom of the filler opening. Do not overfill. Reinstall the vent caps.
Vehicles operated in high temperatures or under severe conditions require frequent checks of the battery fluid level.
If jump starting is necessary, see Jump starting in the In case of emergency section of this manual. If the engine does not start by jump starting, the battery may have to be replaced.
Contact a NISSAN dealer.
Environmental factors influence the rate of corrosion
Moisture Accumulation of sand, dirt and water on the vehicle body underside can accelerate corrosion. Wet floor coverings will not dry completely inside the vehicle and should be removed for drying to avoid floor panel corrosion. Relative humidity Corrosion will be accelerated in areas of ...
Precaution for Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) "AIR BAG" and "SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER" The Supplemental Restraint System such as âAIR BAGâ and âSEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONERâ, used along with a front seat belt, helps to reduce the risk or severity of injury to the dr ...
Bluetooth® streaming audio without Navigation System (Type A) (if so
If you have a compatible Bluetooth® audio device that is capable of playing audio files, the device can be connected to the vehicles audio system so that the audio files on the device play through the vehicles speakers. Connecting Bluetooth® audio To connect your Bluetooth® audio device to ...