Nissan Altima Owners Manual: Compass display (if so equipped)
This unit measures terrestrial magnetism and indicates the direction of the vehicle’s heading.
With the ignition switch placed in the ON position,
press the button as described in
the chart below to activate various features of the automatic anti-glare rearview mirror.
For information about the automatic anti-glare feature, refer to “Automatic anti-glare rearview mirror” in the “Pre-driving checks and adjustments” section.
Press the button for about 1
second when the ignition switch is placed in the ON position to toggle the compass display 1 on or off. The display will indicate the direction of the vehicle’s heading.
If the display reads “C”, calibrate the compass by driving the vehicle in three complete circles at less than 5 MPH (8 km/h).
You can also calibrate the compass by driving your vehicle on your everyday route. The compass will be calibrated once it has tracked three complete circles.
Press the button when the
ignition switch is placed in the ON position. The direction will be displayed.
Zone variation change procedure
The difference between magnetic north and geographical north is known as variance. In some areas, this difference can sometimes be great enough to cause false compass readings. Follow these instructions to set the variance for your particular location if this happens: 1. Establish your location on the zone map.
Refer to the illustration. Record your zone number.
2. Place the ignition switch in the ON position.
3. Press the button in for 5
seconds until the current zone entry number is displayed.
4. Press the button repeatedly
until the desired zone entry number is displayed.
Once the desired zone number is displayed, stop
pressing the button and the display
will show compass direction within a few seconds.
Use zone number 5 for Hawaii.
● If a magnet is located near the compass or the vehicle is driven where the terrestrial magnetism is disturbed, the compass display may not indicate the correct direction.
● In places where the terrestrial magnetism is disturbed, the correction of the direction starts automatically.
Inaccurate compass direction:
The compass display is equipped with automatic correction function. If the correct direction is not shown, follow this procedure.
1. With the display turned on, press and hold
the switch for about 9 seconds. The
display will read “C.”
2. Calibrate the compass by driving the vehicle in three complete circles at a maximum speed of 5 MPH (8 km/h).
3. After completing the circles the display should return to normal.
● If the compass deviates from the correct indication soon after repeated adjustment, have the compass checked at an authorized NISSAN dealer.
● The compass may not indicate the correct compass point in tunnels or while driving up or down a steep hill. (The compass returns to the correct compass point when the vehicle moves to an area where the geomagnetism is stabilized.)
● Do not install a ski rack, antenna, etc., which are attached to the vehicle by means of a magnet. They affect the operation of the compass.
● When cleaning the mirror, use a paper towel or similar material dampened with glass cleaner. Do not spray glass cleaner directly on the mirror as it may cause the liquid cleaner to enter the mirror housing.
Service data and specifications
General Specification (Rear) Rear Wheel Alignment (Unladen*) *: Fuel, radiator coolant and engine oil full. Spare tire, jack, hand tools and mats in designated positions. *: Fuel, engine coolant and engine oil full. Spare tire, jack, hand tools and mats in designated positions. Ball ...
Power supply and ground circuit
SUNROOF MOTOR ASSEMBLY Description â€¢ BCM supplies power. â€¢ CPU is integrated in sunroof motor assembly. â€¢ Tilts up/down & slides open/close by sunroof switch operation. â€¢ In order to close sunroof lid certainly with the signal from combination meter at the time of hig ...
On board diagnostic (OBD) System
Diagnosis Description INTRODUCTION The ECM has an on board diagnostic system, which detects malfunctions related to engine sensors or actuators. The ECM also records various emission-related diagnostic information including: The above information can be checked using procedures listed in ...