Nissan Altima Owners Manual: Tire labeling
Federal law requires tire manufacturers to place standardized information on the sidewall of all tires. This information identifies and describes the fundamental characteristics of the tire and also provides the tire identification number (TIN) for safety standard certification. The TIN can be used to identify the tire in case of a recall.
1 Tire size (example: P215/65R15 95H)
1. P: The “P” indicates the tire is designed for passenger vehicles (not all tires have this information).
2. Three-digit number (215): This number gives the width in millimeters of the tire from sidewall edge to sidewall edge.
3. Two-digit number (65): This number, known as the aspect ratio, gives the tire’s ratio of height to width.
4. R: The “R” stands for radial.
5. Two-digit number (15): This number is the wheel or rim diameter in inches.
6. Two- or three-digit number (95): This number is the tire’s load index. It is a measurement of how much weight each tire can support. You may not find this information on all tires because it is not required by law.
7. H: Tire speed rating. You should not drive the vehicle faster than the tire speed rating.
2 TIN (Tire Identification Number) for a new tire (example: DOT XX XX XXX XXXX)
1. DOT: Abbreviation for the “Department Of Transportation”. The symbol can be placed above, below or to the left or right of the Tire Identification Number.
2. Two-digit code: Manufacturer’s identification mark.
3. Two-digit code: Tire size.
4. Three-digit code: Tire type code (Optional).
5. Three-digit code: Date of Manufacture.
6. Four numbers represent the week and year the tire was built. For example, the numbers 3103 means the 31st week of 2003. If these numbers are missing, then look on the other sidewall of the tire.
3 Tire ply composition and material The number of layers or plies of rubbercoated fabric in the tire. Tire manufacturers also must indicate the materials in the tire, which include steel, nylon, polyester, and others.
4 Maximum permissible inflation pressure This number is the greatest amount of air pressure that should be put in the tire. Do not exceed the maximum permissible inflation pressure.
5 Maximum load rating
This number indicates the maximum load in kilograms and pounds that can be carried by the tire. When replacing the tires on the vehicle, always use a tire that has the same load rating as the factory installed tire.
6 Term of “tubeless” or “tube type” Indicates whether the tire requires an inner tube (“tube type”) or not (“tubeless”).
7 The word “radial”
The word “radial” is shown if the tire has radial structure.
8 Manufacturer or brand name Manufacturer or brand name is shown.
Other Tire-related Terminology
In addition to the many terms that are defined throughout this section, Intended Outboard Sidewall is (1) the sidewall that contains a whitewall, bears white lettering or bears manufacturer, brand, and/or model name molding that is higher or deeper than the same molding on the other sidewall of the tire, or (2) the outward facing sidewall of an asymmetrical tire that has a particular side that must always face outward when mounted on a vehicle.
Towing your vehicle
When towing your vehicle, all State (Provincial in Canada) and local regulations for towing must be followed. Incorrect towing equipment could damage your vehicle. Towing instructions are available from a NISSAN dealer. Local service operators are generally familiar with the applicable laws an ...
B2109 steering lock relay
Description The steering lock relay ON signal is transmitted to IPDM E/R by BCM via CAN communication. IPDM E/R turns the steering lock relay ON and transmits the release of the steering to BCM. DTC Logic DTC DETECTION LOGIC NOTE: â€¢ If DTC B2109 is displayed with DTC U1000, first per ...
P1778 step motor - function
Description â€¢ The step motor's 4 aspects of ON/OFF change according to the signal from TCM. As a result, the flow of line pressure to primary pulley is changed and pulley ratio is controlled. â€¢ This diagnosis item is detected when electrical system is OK, but mechanical system is NG. ...