Nissan Altima Owners Manual: Tire labeling
Federal law requires tire manufacturers to place standardized information on the sidewall of all tires. This information identifies and describes the fundamental characteristics of the tire and also provides the tire identification number (TIN) for safety standard certification. The TIN can be used to identify the tire in case of a recall.
1 Tire size (example: P215/65R15 95H)
1. P: The “P” indicates the tire is designed for passenger vehicles (not all tires have this information).
2. Three-digit number (215): This number gives the width in millimeters of the tire from sidewall edge to sidewall edge.
3. Two-digit number (65): This number, known as the aspect ratio, gives the tire’s ratio of height to width.
4. R: The “R” stands for radial.
5. Two-digit number (15): This number is the wheel or rim diameter in inches.
6. Two- or three-digit number (95): This number is the tire’s load index. It is a measurement of how much weight each tire can support. You may not find this information on all tires because it is not required by law.
7. H: Tire speed rating. You should not drive the vehicle faster than the tire speed rating.
2 TIN (Tire Identification Number) for a new tire (example: DOT XX XX XXX XXXX)
1. DOT: Abbreviation for the “Department Of Transportation”. The symbol can be placed above, below or to the left or right of the Tire Identification Number.
2. Two-digit code: Manufacturer’s identification mark.
3. Two-digit code: Tire size.
4. Three-digit code: Tire type code (Optional).
5. Three-digit code: Date of Manufacture.
6. Four numbers represent the week and year the tire was built. For example, the numbers 3103 means the 31st week of 2003. If these numbers are missing, then look on the other sidewall of the tire.
3 Tire ply composition and material The number of layers or plies of rubbercoated fabric in the tire. Tire manufacturers also must indicate the materials in the tire, which include steel, nylon, polyester, and others.
4 Maximum permissible inflation pressure This number is the greatest amount of air pressure that should be put in the tire. Do not exceed the maximum permissible inflation pressure.
5 Maximum load rating
This number indicates the maximum load in kilograms and pounds that can be carried by the tire. When replacing the tires on the vehicle, always use a tire that has the same load rating as the factory installed tire.
6 Term of “tubeless” or “tube type” Indicates whether the tire requires an inner tube (“tube type”) or not (“tubeless”).
7 The word “radial”
The word “radial” is shown if the tire has radial structure.
8 Manufacturer or brand name Manufacturer or brand name is shown.
Other Tire-related Terminology
In addition to the many terms that are defined throughout this section, Intended Outboard Sidewall is (1) the sidewall that contains a whitewall, bears white lettering or bears manufacturer, brand, and/or model name molding that is higher or deeper than the same molding on the other sidewall of the tire, or (2) the outward facing sidewall of an asymmetrical tire that has a particular side that must always face outward when mounted on a vehicle.
P0452 Evap control system pressure sensor
Description The EVAP control system pressure sensor detects pressure in the purge line. The sensor output voltage to the ECM increases as pressure increases. DTC Logic DTC DETECTION LOGIC DTC CONFIRMATION PROCEDURE 1.PRECONDITIONING If DTC Confirmation Procedure has been previously condu ...
Shift lock system
System Diagram System Description The selector lever cannot be shifted from â€śPâ€ť position to any other position unless the ignition switch is in the ON position and the brake pedal is depressed. Component Parts Location 1. BCM (view with instrument panel removed 2. Steering column ...
Front power window switch
Reference Value TERMINAL LAYOUT PHYSICAL VALUES POWER WINDOW AND DOOR LOCK/UNLOCK SWITCH RH Wiring Diagram Fail Safe FAIL-SAFE CONTROL Switches to fail-safe control when malfunction is detected in encoder signal that detects up/down speed and direction of door glass. Swi ...