Nissan Altima Owners Manual: Three-point type seat belt with retractor
● Every person who drives or rides in this vehicle should use a seat belt at all times.
● Do not ride in a moving vehicle when the seatback is reclined. This can be dangerous. The shoulder belt will not be against your body. In an accident, you could be thrown into it and receive neck or other serious injuries. You could also slide under the lap belt and receive serious internal injuries.
● For the most effective protection when the vehicle is in motion, the seat should be upright. Always sit well back in the seat with both feet on the floor and adjust the seat belt properly.
● Do not allow children to play with the seat belts. Most seating positions are equipped with Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) mode seat belts. If the seat belt becomes wrapped around a child’s neck with the ALR mode activated, the child can be seriously injured or killed if the seat belt retracts and becomes tight. This can occur even if the vehicle is parked. Unbuckle the seat belt to release the child. If the seat belt cannot be unbuckled or is already unbuckled, release the child by cutting the seat belt with a suitable tool (such as a knife or scissors) to release the seat belt.
Front seat shown
Fastening the seat belts
1. Adjust the seat. See “Seats” earlier in this section.
2 Slowly pull the seat belt out of the retractor and insert the tongue into the buckle until you hear and feel the latch engage.
● The retractor is designed to lock during a sudden stop or on impact. A slow pulling motion permits the seat belt to move, and allows you some freedom of movement in the seat.
● If the seat belt cannot be pulled from its fully retracted position, firmly pull the belt and release it. Then smoothly pull the belt out of the retractor.
3 Position the lap belt portion low and snug on the hips as shown.
4 Pull the shoulder belt portion toward the retractor to take up extra slack. Be sure the shoulder belt is routed over your shoulder and across your chest.
The front passenger seat and the rear seating
positions’ three-point seat belts have two modes
● Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) ● Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR)
The Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) mode allows the seat belt to extend and retract to allow the driver and passengers some freedom of movement in the seat. The ELR locks the seat belt when the vehicle slows down rapidly or during certain impacts.
The Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) mode (child restraint mode) locks the seat belt for child restraint installation.
When the ALR mode is activated, the seat belt cannot be extended again until the seat belt tongue is detached from the buckle and fully retracted. The seat belt returns to the ELR mode after the seat belt fully retracts. See “Child restraints” later in this section for more information.
The ALR mode should be used only for child restraint installation. During normal seat belt use by an occupant, the ALR mode should not be activated. If it is activated, it may cause uncomfortable seat belt tension.
When fastening the seat belts, be certain that the seatbacks are completely secured in the latched position. If they are not completely secured, passengers may be injured in an accident or sudden stop.
Unfastening the seat belts
1 To unfasten the seat belt, press the button on the buckle. The seat belt automatically retracts.
Checking seat belt operation
Seat belt retractors are designed to lock seat belt movement by two separate methods: ● When the seat belt is pulled quickly from the retractor.
● When the vehicle slows down rapidly.
To increase your confidence in the seat belts, check the operation as follows: ● Grasp the shoulder belt and pull forward quickly. The retractor should lock and restrict further belt movement.
If the retractor does not lock during this check or if you have any questions about seat belt operation, see a NISSAN dealer.
Shoulder belt height adjustment (Front seats)
The shoulder belt anchor height should be adjusted to the position best for you. See “Precautions on seat belt usage” earlier in this section. To adjust, pull out the adjustment button 1 and move the shoulder belt anchor to the desired position 2 , so the belt passes over the center of the shoulder. The belt should be away from your face and neck, but not falling off your shoulder.
Release the adjustment button to lock the shoulder belt anchor into position.
● After adjustment, release the adjustment button and try to move the shoulder belt anchor up and down to make sure it is securely fixed in position.
● The shoulder belt anchor height should be adjusted to the position best for you.
Failure to do so may reduce the effectiveness of the entire restraint system and increase the chance or severity of injury in an accident.
Removal and Installation 1. Cowl top seal 2. Cowl top side trim covers 3. Cowl top foam blocks 4. Cowl top A Clips REMOVAL 1. Remove both the RH and LH wiper arms. Refer to WW-116, "FRONT WIPER ARMS : Removal and Installation". 2. Remove the cowl top side trim covers. 3. ...
On board diagnostic (OBD) system
Trouble Diagnosis Introduction CAUTION: â€¢ Do not use electrical test equipment on any circuit related to the SRS unless instructed to do so in this Service Manual. SRS wiring harnesses can be identified by yellow and/or orange harness connectors. â€¢ Do not attempt to repair, splice or m ...
P0448 evap canister vent control
Description The EVAP canister vent control valve is located on the EVAP canister and is used to seal the canister vent. This solenoid valve responds to signals from the ECM. When the ECM sends an ON signal, the coil in the solenoid valve is energized. A plunger will then move to seal the ca ...