Nissan Altima Owners Manual: Three-way catalyst
The three-way catalyst is an emission control device installed in the exhaust system. Exhaust gases in the three-way catalyst are burned at high temperatures to help reduce pollutants.
● The exhaust gas and the exhaust system are very hot. Keep people, animals or flammable materials away from the exhaust system components.
● Do not stop or park the vehicle over flammable materials such as dry grass, waste paper or rags. They may ignite and cause a fire.
● Do not use leaded gasoline. Deposits from leaded gasoline will seriously reduce the three-way catalyst’s ability to help reduce exhaust pollutants.
● Keep your engine tuned up. Malfunctions in the ignition, fuel injection, or electrical systems can cause overrich fuel flow into the three-way catalyst, causing it to overheat. Do not keep driving if the engine misfires, or if noticeable loss of performance or other unusual operating conditions are detected. Have the vehicle inspected promptly by a NISSAN dealer.
● Avoid driving with an extremely low fuel level. Running out of fuel could cause the engine to misfire, damaging the three-way catalyst.
● Do not race the engine while warming it up.
● Do not push or tow your vehicle to start the engine.
P0850 PNP Switch
Description When the shift lever position is P or N (CVT), Neutral position (M/T), park/neutral position (PNP) switch is ON. ECM detects the position because the continuity of the line (the ON signal) exists. DTC Logic DTC DETECTION LOGIC DTC CONFIRMATION PROCEDURE 1.INSPECTION START ...
Description The ignition signal from the ECM is sent to and amplified by the power transistor. The power transistor turns ON and OFF the ignition coil primary circuit. This ON/OFF operation induces the proper high voltage in the coil secondary circuit. Component Function Check 1.INSPECTION ...
WARNING ● Be sure the parking brake is fully released before driving. Failure to do so can cause brake failure and lead to an accident. ● Do not release the parking brake from outside the vehicle. ● Do not use the shift lever in place of the parking brake. When parking, be ...